Part of an elegant Victorian Grade II listed building with stunning sea views, the Rooms at The Cellar has been restored as an exceptional destination boutique Bed and breakfast in Clevedon just outside of Bristol. The stylish en-suite bedrooms have been individually designed to the highest standard, offering sublimely luxurious beds with 100% cotton linen, bathrobes, and your very own bijou kitchen area.
Just a stone’s throw away from the seafront and fabulous independant shops of Hill Road, boutique bed and breakfast Rooms at The Cellar are relaxed, sophisticated, and within close proximity to Clevedon’s renowned Grade I listed Victorian Pier, making it ideal for
Part of the Victorian building is The Cellar, a champagne and tapas lounge, offering a wide range of delicious wines from all around the world with Spanish inspired tapas.
A continental breakfast will be available to you from the comfort of your room. Tea and coffee facilities are also available.
For more information on our bed and breakfast, please call us on 01275 873 444
A little history of Clevedon
Clevedon is a town and civil parish in the unitary authority of North Somerset, which covers part of the ceremonial county of Somerset, England. The town has a population of 21,957 according to the United Kingdom Census 2001.
The town is situated amongst a group of small hills alongside the River Severn estuary, including Churchill, Wain’s hill (which is topped by the remains of an Iron Age hill fort), Dial hill, Strawberry hill, Castle hill, Hangstone hill and Court hill which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Clevedon was mentioned in the Domesday Book but did not really grow until the Victorian era when Clevedon became a popular seaside town.
It was served by a short branch line from the main railway at Yatton, between 1847 and 1961. Another railway also served the town, the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Light Railway, which opened in 1897 and closed in 1940.
The seafront includes ornamental gardens, a Victorian bandstand, and other visitor attractions. The Salthouse Field has a light railway running round the perimeter and is used for donkey rides during the summer.
The shore is a mixture of pebbled beaches and low rocky cliffs, with the old harbour being at the western edge of the town at the mouth of the Land Yeo. The rocky beach has been designated as the Clevedon Shoregeological Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Clevedon Pier was opened in 1869, one of the earliest examples of a Victorian pier still in existence in the United Kingdom. During the 20th century it fell into disrepair but was dismantled, restored and rebuilt, reopening in 1986. Other landmarks include Walton Castle, Clevedon Court the Clevedon clock tower and the Curzon cinema.
Clevedon has a certain amount of light industry, mainly in industrial estates including Hither Green Trading Estate near the M5 motorway junction, and it is also a dormitory town for Bristol. The town is also home to a range of educational, religious and cultural buildings and sporting clubs.
Walton Castle is a 17th century fort located on Castle Hill hill that overlooks the Walton St Mary area at the northern end of Clevedon. It was built sometime between 1615 and 1620. The castle was designed as a hunting lodge for Lord Poulett, a Somerset MP.
The English Civil War saw the decline of Poulett’s fortunes, and by 1791 the castle was derelict and being used as a dairy by a local farmer. In 1984, the castle was purchased for £1 by Margarita Hamilton, who restored the building to its former glory.
Clevedon Court is on Court Hill east of the town centre, close to the road to Bristol. It is one of only a few remaining 14th century manorial halls in England, having been built by Sir John de Clevedon circa 1320.
Since the early eighteenth century the house has been owned by the Elton family, who were responsible for much building work on the house and many improvements in the town, and although the house itself is now owned by the National Trust, the associated estates are still owned by the Elton family.
Sir Edmund Elton (1846–1920) was a potter who produced unusually shaped ware in a variety of richly-coloured glazes, including a gold glaze of his own invention, at the “Poet’s Walk” is a footpath around Wain’s Hill and Church Hill, to the south west of the seafront, and the upper part of the town contains many other footpaths through parks and wooded areas which were laid out in the nineteenth century.
The name of the walk is a commemoration of the poets and writers who have visited Clevedon. The first large scale production of penicillin took place in the town. In 1938, Howard Florey was working at Lincoln College, Oxford University with Ernst Boris Chain and Norman Heatley, when he read Alexander Fleming’s paper discussing the antibacterial effects of Penicillium notatum mould.
He made arrangements for this to be grown in deep culture tanks at the Medical Research Council’s Antibiotic Research Station in Clevedon, enabling mass production of this mould for the injections of the soldiers of World War II who suffered from infections. These include Coleridge in 1795 and Tennyson in 1834.